posted Sep 12, 2014, 12:29 PM by Birmingham IMA
Research Accountant Southern Power (A Southern Company)
A summary of job duties and required experience/education are below. For more information and to apply, please visit the job posting on the Southern Company Career page
Requisition number: SCS2004378
Summary of Position Duties
The responsibilities for the Research Accountant position include:
- Review contracts and various proposed or completed transactions to determine and document the required accounting and financial statement disclosure.
- Perform accounting and tax due diligence for potential acquisitions.
- Provide Accounting Management with assurance that SEC quarterly/annual filings are in compliance with disclosure requirements.
- Evaluate the impact of new accounting standards and participate in the implementation of the new standards.
- Document company accounting policies.
Job Experience and Education
- BA/BS degree in Accounting required, CPA required.
- Five (5) years of accounting work experience is required.
- Public accounting experience is preferred
- Technical Accounting research experience is required.
- Utility accounting experience is desired
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of FASB and SEC accounting and reporting standards and requirements. Knowledge of ASC 805 Business Combinations, ASC 810 Consolidation and Variable Interest Entities, ASC 815 Derivatives and Hedging, and ASC 840 Leases is preferred.
- Ability to research technical/complex accounting issues and document conclusions in well-written memos.
- Strong oral and written communications skills with the ability to understand and explain complex accounting issues to non-financial employees.
- Strong interpersonal skills to effectively interact with accounting, auditing, various functional areas and levels of management.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills and decision-making abilities.
- Self-directed, proactive and able to handle multiple projects and competing deadlines.
- Ability to provide assistance for the quarterly and year-end financial reporting process.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information.
- Ability to build supportive relationships and maintain consistent communication throughout the organization.
- Working knowledge of accounting research tools.
- Comfortable making decisions.
- Knowledge and application of Sarbanes-Oxley Act.